It’s been almost two years since I started baking bread on a pretty regular basis, so I guess I should be grateful that the failures have been few and far between, especially as I’ve more or less given up on recipes. I have a basic formula (6-7 cups flour, 2 tsp yeast, a scant 3 cups water, 1 tbsp fat, quarter cup honey (or something sweet) and 1 tbsp salt), and it usually works. I tend to use about half wholewheat and half white bread flour, and often throw in something vaguely exotic (oat, buckwheat, rye) for a small portion of the mix, I chop and change the fat (olive oil, coconut oil, butter) and I add about a cup of nuts or seeds, and sometimes spices too. Ground coriander works particularly well, for some reason. Yes there were failures — a set of loaves that really never rose (cue small, wholewheat bricks), and ones that crumbled to nothing after I used too much buckwheat flour. But they are usually pretty damn awesome. One batch makes two loaves, and that lasts me about two weeks. Then I throw another set of ingredients together and start all over again.
But today my brain just didn’t quite engage properly as I put the mix together, and I absent-mindedly measured two half-tablespoons of yeast rather than the normal two (slightly skimpy) teaspoons. I spotted the mistake only as I cleared the measuring spoons away after the bread was ready to rise, and that meant trouble.
I guess I could have divided up the dough and added (lots) more flour, salt and water to each half, but I decided just to see what happens. It was a fast rise (less than two hours), an even faster time to proove the loaves in their tins (45 minutes) and a surprisingly speedy bake. The result: a rather too crumbly loaf that tastes rather too much of yeast.
Oh well. Let’s chalk it down to experience and move on.